Do you question the new? Are you often skeptical about the success or failure of any new technology or lifestyle change and hence reject it in the first go. The twenty year mobile phone evolution started with large the large Ericsson/Nokia phones with a large aerial, palmtops, sidekicks, motorazrs to smartphones. Who knew that the world would be taken over by smartphones! Similarly for now, you only see a few digitized billboards at a few prime spots in the city! Maybe somewhere on Mombasa Road or at National Archives. Is this going to be a thing of the future?
What is electronic outdoor advertising?
Digital outdoor advertising is combining traditional advertising to modern technology. The static hoardings and billboards are turned into big size screens with moving visuals and engaging messages that fetch the attention of the audience while they travel. The digital screens are an edge over traditional hoardings because of the following reason:
- Uniqueness attracts instant attention: Think of the impact of a short Instagram video compared to an image. As digital outdoor advertising is new and not too common in Nairobi, people tend to notice them easily and pay more attention to them in comparison to traditional outdoor advertising that is common. It is not uncommon seeing people slowing down or paying longer attention to an electronic billboard.
- Captivating: The animations, HD colors, creatives and message are all packed in one digital screen that entices the passersby and make them notice the brand message.
- Easy customization: Despite being pricier, a digital billboard is a better investment. Think of the time it takes to print and hoist up a static billboard! But then you have a seasonal sale like Valentines or Easter season sale! Bringing down the current billboard, changing for the sale period and then returning to the usual campaign can be a lot of work. With a digital billboard, you have the freedom to customize your message according to your needs.
- Easy Access: The digital screens can be controlled remotely through Wi-Fi connection.
These are some of the digital billboards you can find on Adspace:
Despite its advantages, why is Digital Outdoor used less in Kenya?
Although digitization of outdoor advertising is gaining pace slowly and steadily but there are few factors that refrain the advertisers from using them rigorously.
- Expensive: Look at any digital billboard close to you! Notice the types of brands on the digital billboard? Now make a comparison to the list of highest earning brands. Digital outdoor advertising is expensive in comparison to traditional methods like street poles, hoardings and billboards as it incurs the cost of digital screen and light. The availability of cheaper option refrain the advertisers to opt for digital outdoor advertising.
- Logistics: I have seen a digital outdoor billboard on Mombasa road that literally has a large steel fence, backup power batteries and always has men maintaining the assets.
Is digital advertising the next big thing? Damn right it is! Advertisers are constantly looking for new ways to grab the audience’s attention. In near future, the traditional hoardings will be replaced by the digital screens. Look forward to seeing Nairobi’s version of Times Square or Piccadilly Circus.